Friday, September 21, 2007

Could you be convicted?


If you were hauled into court on the charge of being Catholic, would there be enough evidence to convict you?

Now I know some of you are looking around your offices, homes, and digging in your pockets for all the little 'Catholic widgets' and you are saying, "Kat, here is my rosary and over there is my statue/picture of Mary, and I know somewhere there is a crucifix in the house, and I think I may even have a Bible." Those things are good to have and are fine outward examples of Catholicism, that isn't the evidence I am talking about.

Could the prosecution bring in three or four good, solid witnesses to testify against you? Someone to be able to say, 'man he/she goes to mass every day, he/she prays all the time, they treat everyone with respect, I even heard him/her saying that they needed to go to confession once."

Do you live your faith on a daily basis? That is what this idea is about, do you?

If someone were to walk in to Christine's and my apartment, they would have a darn good time with all the things that are Catholic that litter the walls, bookshelves, pockets, purses & bags. As for myself, I leave a lot to be desired in living out my faith, my daily life is not always the best witness against me in proving I am a Catholic beyond a reasonable doubt, in fact I am pretty sure the Jury would let me off or at least be hung in regards to my 'guilt'. And I can point to one or two readers, people who know me, sitting at their computer screen's going "Kat you are full of it." Umm no, actually I'm not. I don't successfully live out my faith on a daily basis. I don't pray daily, I don't speak up and "own" my faith, I don't always defend it, I don't go to Mass every day and truthfully I could make the time, I don't go to adoration when I can, and most of all I hold grudges and refuse to forgive as readily as I should and sometimes I do what I accuse others of, I use my pride and being "right" as a shield against the world and against people.

So in the end, I too haven't let there be enough evidence out there of my guilt. I hope I can work on changing that.